Labiaplasty in Evansville and Jasper, IN
Women in the tri-state area of Southern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, and Illinois sometimes experience chafing or discomfort due to labia that are longer than usual. Labiaplasty performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ryan Flannagan at Flannagan Plastic Surgery could be the solution for all Evansville and Jasper females who want to eliminate this unusual problem.
What is a Labiaplasty Procedure?
A labiaplasty reduction procedure is performed to reduce the size of the labia minor (inner lips) or labia major (outer lips) of the vagina. It is performed under general anesthesia and typically takes around one to two hours to complete.
Benefits of a Labiaplasty
The average length of the labia minor in females is 60mm. Some women have inner labia that are much longer than that due to genetics. Others experience “hanging” labia due to multiple childbirths or the aging process. These women may experience discomfort, chafing, and painful intercourse unless the labia are reduced to normal size.
Is a Labiaplasty Right for Me?
If you are bothered by large vaginal lips that rub against your clothing, causing you undue pain or discomfort, you could be a good candidate for a labia reduction.
Labiaplasty and the “Mommy Makeover”
The “mommy makeover” is a common cosmetic treatment to target problem areas associated with post-pregnancy and childbirth. Traditionally, a “mommy makeover” involves a tummy tuck and breast lift to correct some of the more obvious changes to the body following motherhood. However, anyone who has undergone childbirth understands that the changes to the body don’t stop at just the breasts and the tummy. Pregnancy, childbirth, and post-pregnancy hormonal changes can greatly affect the female genitalia. A labiaplasty can help to reverse these changes and is an excellent, practical addition to a traditional “mommy makeover.”
What if I Want Labiaplasty Before Having a Child?
Any adult woman can elect to undergo labiaplasty. This is a safe, effective procedure with many benefits. Dr. Flannagan can help you to make this very personal decision and determine if you are a strong candidate for this procedure. If you are planning to have children in the future, however, Dr. Flannagan may suggest waiting just to help you get the most from the procedure itself. Because pregnancy can change the female genitalia, the results of a previous labiaplasty can be altered, compromising the overall outcome after pregnancy.
Are There Different Types of Labiaplasty?
Yes, there are different labiaplasty procedures available to you. Dr. Flannagan will likely recommend a specific labiaplasty procedure to you based on your current concerns and desired outcome. He is confident he can help you choose the type of labiaplasty that’s most beneficial to you as an individual.
- Labia Minora Reduction – The labia minora, or inner lips of the vagina, can be a source of discomfort and embarrassment for some women. When this is the case, reducing the size of the labia minora can help achieve the desired outcomes. Some reasons women elect to reduce the labia minora are as follows:
- Achieve symmetry of the vagina
- Prevent labia minora from being seen from beneath the labia majora
- Feel more confident during intimate moments
- Reduce chafing in underwear or tight clothing
- Eliminate pain or discomfort from rubbing or during intimacy
- Labia Majora Reduction – The labia majora, or outer lips of the vagina, are typically the most visible part of the genitalia. When the majora are enlarged, it can cause concern in women for a number of reasons. In some cases, the labia majora may be asymmetrical, which can be visible even when wearing clothes because one side is greatly enlarged. In other cases, large labia minora can be visible in clothing, despite being symmetrical, which can cause a “camel toe” effect. These are aesthetic reasons to undergo a labia majora reduction. However, there are physical reasons to consider the procedure, as well, such as chronic infections, chafing, and tenderness in the area.
- Clitoral Hood Reduction – The clitoral hood is the area of the vagina that covers the clitoris. This soft tissue protects the extremely sensitive clitoris from overstimulation. However, when there is too much tissue in that area, the clitoris can be prevented from feeling sensation at all. A clitoral hood reduction can help enhance sexual pleasure and normalcy by removing the excess tissue.
Elements of a Labiaplasty
The first step in a labiaplasty procedure involves shaving the area. Next, general anesthesia will be administered, ensuring you are fast asleep. Dr. Flannagan then will make the necessary incisions in order to trim excess tissue. These incisions will be well hidden inside the labia. You will spend a couple of hours in the recovery room, where you will be monitored by our staff.
How Long is the Recovery After a Labiaplasty Procedure?
Since labiaplasty is performed on a very delicate area of the body, extreme caution is needed during the recovery period. Dr. Flannagan will provide you with a list of activities to avoid in the weeks following your labiaplasty, and it is important you follow these instructions to the letter. You will need to abstain from intercourse, douching, wearing tampons, and the use of vaginal suppositories until the area has completely healed.
How Much Does a Labiaplasty Procedure Cost?
The first step in determining your cost is to schedule a labiaplasty consultation at Flannagan Plastic Surgery. This will allow us to develop a custom treatment program as well as a detailed cost analysis. We will then go over this cost analysis item by item to ensure you fully understand each item listed. After that, our team will work out the best financing option for your needs and budget. Most of our patients use a combination of the following to pay for their procedures:
- Personal or cashier’s checks
- American Express
- CareCredit® Financing
Why Choose Flannagan Plastic Surgery?
Flannagan Plastic Surgery offers safe and effective labiaplasty procedures to residents of Evansville and Jasper and the surrounding cities. If you are in the tri-state area of Indiana, Northern Kentucky or Illinois, contact board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ryan Flannagan at Flannagan Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation and learn whether a labiaplasty procedure is right for you.