Breast Implant Removal in Evansville and Jasper, IN
After having implants for some time, many women in the tri-state area of Indiana, Northern Kentucky, and Southern Illinois decide they no longer want or need them. A breast implant removal performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ryan Flannagan at Flannagan Plastic Surgery could be the solution for all Evansville and Jasper residents in the tri-state area of Southern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, and Illinois who wish to regain their former figure.
What is Breast Implant Removal?
Breast implant removal is a procedure performed in order to permanently remove breast implants. It is sometimes referred to as a breast implant/augmentation revision because it basically reverses the work performed during breast augmentation surgery.
Benefits of Breast Implant Removal
Unfortunately, some women choose implants that are too large for their body and later find that these implants cause them a great deal of discomfort. A breast implant/augmentation revision can reverse this discomfort, allowing women to feel more like themselves again. Breast implant removal surgery can also:
- Remove leaking implants that may pose a safety hazard
- Allow women to change the size or shape of their implants
- Make it easier to read the results of a mammogram
Is Breast Implant Removal Right for Me?
You may desire a breast implant removal if:
- You now feel self-conscious about your overly large breasts or wish to eliminate the discomfort they create
- Your implants have started leaking
- You desire a different size, shape, or type of implant
- Having implants is uncomfortable for you
Elements of a Breast Implant Removal
Breast implant removal procedure is performed much like an augmentation, only in reverse. You’ll be placed under general anesthesia, and can sleep comfortably while the revision is being performed. Dr. Flannagan will even cut along the same incision lines whenever possible to prevent additional scarring. After removing your implants, he will then sew together the pocket of tissue over a drain, allowing your breasts to form a very natural shape again.
How Long is the Recovery after Breast Implant Removal Procedure?
The recovery period after an implant removal is about the same as with an augmentation. You should generally avoid strenuous activities for two to three weeks, and keep from lifting heavy objects until after your follow-up appointment.
Breast Implant Removal Without Replacement
Breast implant removal without replacement is a procedure in which breast implants are surgically removed from the body and not replaced. This leaves only natural tissue in the breasts. This is a rare procedure because women typically choose to replace implants with new ones to keep the area firm and similar in size, but all cases are different. Typically, this procedure is not done due to medical reasons but more as a personal decision to rid the body of implants altogether. If you are removing your implants and are unsure about replacement options, we can help you determine the right course of action that you’ll feel great about again.
Why Do People Have Breast Implants Removed?
- Severe Complications of Breast Reconstruction and Breast Augmentation: These are rare, but they can occur in some patients. There is a slight risk of breast implant infection, leaking, and breast implant exposure. When these become severe, it is often necessary to remove the implants as soon as possible. Typically, this is followed by implants. In some cases, these more severe complications are caused during mastectomy during breast cancer treatment. If this is the case, we can follow-up with breast reconstruction for maximum benefit.
- Breast Implants Placed at a Young Age: When breast implants are placed at a young age, there is a greater likelihood that they will not last as long as those that are placed at an older age. Dr. Flannagan typically recommends waiting until breasts are of a stable size to avoid this inconvenience for patients. Breast implants, when placed at a younger age, are expected to last a long time. However, young patients typically have more body changes than older patients. While breast implants don’t change size or shape, the breasts likely will change. This can be due to hormones, pregnancy, weight change, and more. These changes can cause women to be dissatisfied with the previous implants and want to replace them or remove them altogether. In some cases, a breast reduction may even be considered during this implant removal scenario.
- Breast Implants and Pregnancy: This is a common concern for individuals considering breast augmentation. Will implants need to be removed following pregnancy or prior to breastfeeding? Medically, the answer is “no.” All FDA-approved implants do not pose any risk associated with breastfeeding a child. However, some women choose to remove breast implants following pregnancy for aesthetic or personal reasons. In some cases, women choose to have implants removed prior to pregnancy, as well, to decrease the chances of stretch marks or very enlarged breasts during pregnancy.
- Breast Implants and Menopause: Just like when hormones fluctuate during adolescence, breasts can enlarge during the other time of hormonal change: menopause. During menopause, the breasts can change size and women can feel uncomfortable with the current breast implants for any number of reasons. When this is the case, Dr. Flannagan can determine a personalized course of treatment considering breast implant removal, replacement, reduction, and breast lifts as strong possibilities.
- No Longer Desire Breast Augmentation: If a woman chooses to no longer have breast augmentation, she is completely free to do so. If a woman wants her implants removed and not replaced, we will ensure she has a safe, effective procedure and outcome.
- Breast Implant Removal with Breast Reconstruction: Breast implant reconstruction is the term used to describe cosmetic breast surgery following a mastectomy. Because women that have undergone a mastectomy have less natural tissue in that area, there can be some complications with breast reconstruction implants. In these cases, the breast implants will need to be removed due to complications such as deflation, infection, and exposure. We can also use breast implant removal and replacement to regain the symmetry that may be lost in the area following a mastectomy or breast reconstruction on one breast.
What are Breast Implant Complications?
Dr. Flannagan will determine if you are a strong candidate for breast augmentation prior to your procedure, which greatly minimizes the chance of complications. However, if you currently have implant complications, Dr. Flannagan can help. Below, we have some of the most common concerns associated with breast implants and how he can help remedy them.
- Leaking Implants: Flannagan will remove leaking implants, there is no safe way to correct the issue otherwise. The implants can be replaced if desired.
- Capsular Contracture (Hardening of Implants): If the scar tissue around the breast implant incision is hardened, this is called a capsular contracture, and Dr. Flannagan can simply remove the implants.
- Dissatisfaction withSize or Implant Type: Flannagan will consult with you to determine how to best remedy this issue through new implants, a breast lift, a different shape or kind of implant, a different size implant, etc.
- Implant Rippling: When there is visible rippling on the breast caused by an implant, Dr. Flannagan can safely use a variety of techniques to camouflage any external issue.
- Implant Malposition/Bottoming Out: When this happens, it is not typically necessary to remove the implants. Instead, Dr. Flannagan will reposition the breast skin and soft tissue to move the implant to its desired position in the body.
- Breast Sagging or Ptosis: Flannagan would recommend a breast lift, or mastopexy, to correct sagging ptosis of the breast.
How Much Does a Breast Implant Removal Procedure Cost?
The first step in determining your cost is to schedule a breast implant removal consultation at Flannagan Plastic Surgery. This will allow us to develop a custom treatment program as well as a detailed cost analysis. We will then go over this cost analysis item by item to ensure you fully understand each item listed. After that, our team will work out the best financing option for your needs and budget. Most of our patients use a combination of the following to pay for their procedures:
- Personal or cashier’s checks
- American Express
- CareCredit® Financing
Why Choose Flannagan Plastic Surgery?
Flannagan Plastic Surgery offers safe and effective breast implant removal procedures to residents of Evansville and Jasper and the surrounding cities. If you are in the tri-state area of Indiana, Northern Kentucky or Illinois, contact board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ryan Flannagan at Flannagan Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation and learn how a breast implant removal could benefit you.